Labradors Retrievers are energetic, enthusiastic, and playful. They thrive on physical exercise and love to run, chase a ball, play in fields, and get dirty. To maintain a soft and shiny coat, they need regular bathing with a good quality dog shampoo. But there are so many dog shampoos of different types and with different ingredients, selecting the correct one can be a drag. To make things easy for you, I have made a list of best shampoos for labrador available in India.
How Often Should You Bathe a Dog?
Just like every dog, labradors need frequent baths.
How often you bathe your labrador depends on his lifestyle and habits. If your pooch spends most of his time playing outdoor in the dirt, then you will need to bathe him more often. But make sure you don’t over bathe your pooch, as it can remove his natural body oils.
There are many Labradors who spend most of their time indoors and rarely get smelly or dirty and if yours is one of them, a bath somewhere between every two to three months is enough. Many experts suggest to bath a labrador only when he starts smelling or when he rolls into something unhygienic.
When your lab gets dirty after playing in a field, you can consider cleaning him with a wet sponge to remove dirt and debris from its coat.
Different Types of Dog Shampoos
There are different shampoos for different use. To take the utmost care of your lab’s coat it is necessary to select an ideal one. Let look into them:
- Puppy Shampoo: If your labrador is under 12 months old then he is still just a puppy. Dog shampoos are just too hard for puppies. They need shampoos that have gentle ingredients for their sensitive skin. Puppy shampoos are also tearless.
- Normal Dog Shampoos: These shampoos are used for general use. They help remove dirt and debris and make your dog clean. They also contain the organic flavored smell, to eliminate body odor.
- Natural and Organic Shampoos: They are made with natural ingredients and no added preservatives or acids.
- Anti Flea or Tick Shampoos: These are used for removing fleas or ticks from your labrador’s coat.
- Hypoallergenic Shampoos: Dogs with certain allergies require mild and gentle shampoo.
- Deshedding Shampoos: These shampoos moisturizes the skin and coat of the dog and help reduce shedding.
Best Shampoos for Labradors in India
I and my team went on a mission to research and find out the best labrador shampoos of various types.
Earthbath All Natural (Standard Shampoo)
Earthbath is quite a well known and famous brand regarding pet products and most importantly for dog’s shampoos and conditioners. It is a good quality shampoo for standard use.
This product contains Vitamin A, B, D, and E as well as aloe vera along with natural preservatives, glycerine, and mango essence.
The flavor is Mango-Tango and it is made up of purified water and many varieties of plant-derived conditioners and cleansers.
There are no added chemicals like DEA, SLS/SLES, enzymes, parabens, artificial dyes, gluten, soap, or perfumes so it’s soft and gentle to the dog’s skin.
- Since there is a conditioner in the product, it softens and improves the glow and shine of your lab’s coat.
- As all the ingredients are natural you don’t have to worry about side effects.
- The Mango-Tango scent is really refreshing.
- The product is 100% vegan and the packaging is also biodegradable.
- It rinses and lathers out quickly and easily.
- The product is not specialized to deal with any significant hair, coat, or skin problems.
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo (Natural and Organic)
Burt’s Bees is a natural shampoo specialist with many scents and formulations to choose from as per your preferences. It is made with 100% natural ingredients and there are no added chemicals. This is also one of the best-rated dog shampoos for India.
This shampoo contains oatmeal, honey, and beeswax to comfort dry skin and bring back some much-needed moisture.
As mentioned above, there are no harmful chemicals included and it is guaranteed to be Sorbitan Laurate (PEG-80) free.
Also, Burt’s Bees guarantees that all their ingredients are solely derived from plants.
- 100% Natural and Soothing ingredients.
- Ideal for Puppy and adult Labradors.
- Oatmeal and honey help to aid your dog’s dry skin and provide welcome itch comfort.
- This shampoo is concentrated. A small amount is enough to clean your dog.
4-Legger Certified Organic All Natural Dog Shampoo (Hypo-allergenic Shampoos)
Some dogs suffer from skin problems which may include allergies and sensitive skin. Labradors with sensitive skin or allergies cannot use standard shampoo as it can just make things worst. Hypoallergenic Shampoos are specially made for dogs with such skin problems and allergies.
4-Legger is USDA certified Shampoo and is one of the finest for dogs with skin problems. This shampoo is 100% natural and it guarantees that it contains none of the synthetic, artificial, or toxic chemicals found in other dog shampoos. According to this product, this shampoo can be applied to dogs of any age.
As mentioned above, this product is certified to organic food standards so there’s nothing to worry about and it is made up of natural ingredients.
This product includes coconut, olives, and jojoba oils along with other essential oils like rosemary and lemongrass and also aloe vera extract. This product is all-natural and none of the harsh chemicals like MEA, DEA, alcohol, sulfates, PEG, DMDM hydantoin, parabens, or artificial fragrances or artificial colors are used.
- If your labrador is in contact with flea or ticks then there is no problem because ingredients like lemongrass or rosemary are flea and tick deterrents.
- This shampoo is made in the US and it is USDA certified. This product is also 100% vegan, the packaging is recyclable. The product itself says that this is not just great for dogs but also for our planet.
- One of the issues of bathing a labrador is it can strip out natural oils that protect its coat. But this shampoo is specially made for sensitive skin with plenty of natural moisturizers that aid the skin without stripping of natural oils.
- As per their website, this product can be used on almost all age brackets and skin types.
- Expensive, but you cannot expect a hypoallergic shampoo to be cheap.
Why we recommend just this shampoo and not others because this 4 legger shampoo smells great even after being a hypo-allergic shampoo specially made for sensitive skin. It also doesn’t let the fleas and ticks to wander around the dog and the most amazing thing is it is 100% natural and safe to use.
Nature’s Miracle Supreme (Heavy Duty Dog Shampoos)
Some of the labradors are very enthusiastic and energetic and they probably spent most of their time playing outdoors. Normal dog shampoo can be a little too gentle for them.
Do not use it for regular use. You can keep this shampoo around for times when your lab becomes extremely dirty or gets himself into something unpleasant.
This shampoo is also 100% natural and all the ingredients are derived from plants. This product also provides long term odor control acting as a deodorizer and it acts as a shed control as well. I personally have used this shampoo on my labrador and it did pretty well and its smell stayed for quite a long time.
This product does not contain any harsh or harmful chemicals like PEG, DEA, Triclosan, Gluten, sulfates, dyes, fragrances, and artificial colors that can cause serious irritation and the dog can be uncomfortable.
- The shampoo is Vegan.
- Concentrated liquid.
- It’s Biodegradable and made in the US.
- The scent of the shampoo is very subtle.
Wahl Flea and Tick Shampoo (Anti-flea and tick)
If your lab constantly catches fleas or ticks then consider using this shampoo. It is capable of repelling them for one week.
- Wahl is a well known and reputed brand
- Very effective
- High-quality shampoo
- Not that expensive
I hope I was able to help you and find the best shampoo for your adorable pooch. If you have any doubts or need any more recommendations, feel free to contact me, I will be happy to help.